Tuesday, February 12, 2008

Another reader heard from

An Orlando Sentinel reader's response to a Sunday column describing Zell's profanity-laced meeting with the staff and his idea of what readers want :

If someone were to ask me, I'd start by saying that I want my paper to arrive dry, on time, and within 5 feet of my front door. I would pay extra for a paper that prints items that really affect my existence. Not what the latest heinous crime is, but what I need to know to prevent it in my neighborhood. I'd peruse the overseas story with the local connection. I'd even dare to read the occasional gossip that makes me feel grateful for what I have.

What leaves me and my neighbors scratching our heads is when we see headlines trumpeting news of economic hard times. Regular people with middle- and lower-class incomes knew that years ago. Maybe someone should have asked us then.

 Perhaps Mr. Zell can sell a few more papers by taking the time to step out of his tent and listen to what people want.
We think its a pretty good bet that readers and advertisers would not have fled our pages in droves if newspaper owners listened more to the community than it does to Wall Street. 

No comments: