Monday, November 26, 2007

HC columnist: I pray they sell us *

* Corrected
Susan Campbell weighs in on FCC chairman Martin's proposal to lift the ban on media company cross-ownership in larger markets but continue the restrictions in not-so large markets like Hartford which would force Tribune to sell either the Hartford Courant or the 2 local TV stations.

With respect to my fellow corporate-trough diners in TV, I pray they sell us. I'm spending the holiday thankful I have a job, and I'm praying that very soon I am holding down that same job but answering to someone else. I hold out hope that local ownership is a big part of the answer to the malaise that affects American newspapers. I am thankful that I work for a corporation that gave me a good dental plan, but I am willing to trade my teeth for a (local) owner who gets it.
Susan thinks Courant employees should buy the paper.

That's not a far-fetched idea. The Newspaper Guild and its advisers Duff & Phelps and Ownership Associates can identify buyers who would consider sharing ownership with employees.

No comments: